Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 2: Bus. Conquered.

Happy Tuesday!  I survived day 2!  And let me tell you, it was quite the day.


Today was the first day I had to attempt public transportation.  By myself.  Scariness.  Lee (the guy I'm living with) drew me a map and wrote out directions and everything!  So there was no way I could mess this up!!  And sorry to disappoint everyone, but I didn't mess it up!  It was very easy and there were no tears involved!! ACCOMPLISHMENT!!


I had to take 2 different buses each way....so I had 4 opportunities to get completely lost....and I didn't!! Woot woot!  And let me tell you, the people who ride the bus have some GREAT outfits!  AND when I was on the first bus this morning a really old lady with a big purple coat got on.....then.....when I was getting on my second bus this afternoon the SAME old lady was getting off!!  I wonder if she just rode the bus all day!!  Which I may try...cause how awesome would that be?  But...that also raised another thought....what if, out of ALL the buses in Washington D.C., I rode the SAME bus in the morning and in the afternoon?!  Mind blowing, I know.


At work today I did research all day.  It was a lot of contacting one person, them telling to me contact another person, who would then tell me to contact yet another person....and so on and so forth.  So I didn't really get very far :-/ unfortunately.  Other than that nothing too exciting happened at work today.


But....that *%$#@*& German keyboard....it doesn't like me.  The 'y' key and the 'z' key are switched so every time I type my name I type Shebz (or any word that has a y in it).  And it's not ctrl-alt-delete to log on....it's strg-alt-enf.  And there are a bunch of other symbols and letters.  And I still don't know German....yet.  Oh, and today while I was doing research google decided to join the party and switch to German....so the titles of all the articles and the descriptions were all in German and it didn't switch to English until I clicked on it.  Neat.


A few things I forgot to previously blog about: the other day I passed a building for Johns Hopkins University.  You know, I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins.  It was Johnny Hopkins and Sloan Kettering, and they were blazin that shit up everyday.  Oops...I guess this isn't a family blog anymore.  (Oh...and Grandma, or any other adults who are reading my blog and haven't seen the movie "Stepbrothers," I don't actually smoke pot...)  OH!  And the Neuseum is next to the Canadian Embassy...which is exciting because as all of you know, I'm from Canada.  It's like a slice of home here in D.C.


Oh and food is expensive here.


The weather here was really nice today...partly cloudy and in the high 40s/low 50s.


I guess I should talk a little bit about the guy I am staying with other than the fact he has a British accent!  His name is Lee and he is good friends with Jo Dorrance (the internship coordinator at Wartburg).  He is super nice and really cool (and I'm not just saying that because I know he reads my blog!)  He works for WWF, saving the animals one day at a time!  Tonight we ordered Italian and we are watching Dear John because we were totally in the mood for an unrealistic love story!  Thanks Nicholas Sparks!!


Oh, and apparently the green power ranger is in NYC on Friday.  I'm slightly upset I won't be able to go see him.


Well I think that's about it for this blog post.  I will start posting pictures when I start exploring!!  More tomorrow :)


Shelby*


P.S. Prince Harry arrives tomorrow.  I'm pumped.  Tomorrow's blog post has the potential to be VERY VERY VERY exciting.  Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment