Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 4: It's not too often you get this much neatness in one location...

Today was my first day of exploring!! And I had a blast! :)  And pictures are included this time!!!

It was pretty good weather for exploring today.  The high was 68 but it was cloudy.  So it wasn't too chilly but since it was cloudy it wasn't too hot!!

My day started and I had to ride the metro for the first time.  Yayyy for being underground!  It was really easy to understand and I didn't get lost!  Success!

Once I got off I was right by the National Archives.  I decided just to start walking and see where I ended up.  (Actually, I had nothing planned for today, I decided to wing everything!)  The first thing I came upon was the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden.  I walked through that and saw this really cool fountain with a great view of the National Archives (see picture).  I plan on visiting one of the art museums tomorrow!

After that, I made my way to the mall where I saw the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument.








I then went towards the Washington Monument.  Unfortunately, they are not allowing people to go up into the Monument for the time being because when D.C. was hit with the earthquake last year the elevator was damaged.  I still got some good pictures, regardless!
After the Washington Monument I headed towards the World War II Monument.  I really enjoyed this Monument because while I was there a ton of veterans were there.  I wish I could have said "thank you" to all of them but there were just too many!  Here is one of my favorite pictures from this site.  A veteran looking at the wall of stars.
After that I went to the Lincoln Memorial.  Unfortunately, the reflecting pool is under construction.  So it was kind of a long, boring walk.  BUT I found this cool squirrel...so it was all good :)
Then I went and hung out with Lincoln for a while...walked around, got more pictures!!  (Note: Do not ask a security guard if the statue is life size...)
So, let's see....after Lincoln, I went over to the Korean War Memorial.
After this I decided to just start wandering and see what I stumble upon!  I found the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.  I really liked this one because of the quotes on the wall and also because when my family and I were here a number of years ago it was not, so I got to see something new!!
After MLK I decided to really wander....which probably wasn't a good idea.  I just started walking and then I noticed I was seeing more "business people" than tourists....so I crossed the street and started walking a different way.  I came across a gated area, I didn't really think anything of it so I just kept walking.  Then I found an entrance to a park.  It wasn't blocked off or anything and there were other people walking around, so I decided to enter.  There was a big field and some people were playing soccer.  I kept walking and all of a sudden I turned around and this is what I saw...
Oh....oh hi Mr. President.  No worries, it's not like I was in the backyard of the White House or anything...and no secret service tackled me (then again they're running a little low on secret service men aren't they?? Too soon??) So yayyy for randomly finding the White House!!!  

After stumbling upon the home of Barack, I decided to go to the Natural History Museum.  It was so big and so much fun!  There was so much to look at in so many different exhibits!  I probably could've spend all day there!  Here are a few highlights:

 Ahhhhhhh! Just kidding :) We are friends now!











I decided this is what I look like after a few Rip-Its! hahahaha













The Hope Diamond....I swear I saw this necklace in the Titanic....



Oh and irony at it's finest...The Orkin Insect Zoo...REALLY!? 

Well, that was day one of exploring Washington D.C.!!!  I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!  I plan on going on more adventures and seeing more awesomeness!!  

Oh yeah, I saw a leash kid today...poor kid :(  I want to make a shirt that says "FREE THE LEASH KIDS!!!" And just wear it around whenever I go on trips.  Kids are kids, not dogs!!  Let's be honest though...my kids are going to be so out of control I'll probably need to leash them up!!

PLEASE check out my facebook page for many more pictures from today!!!  More tomorrow :)

Shelby*

No comments:

Post a Comment