Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 3: "Hi, my name is Shelby Granath and I'm with DW-TV here in Washington..."

Oh hi...me again :)  I'm going to have to keep this blog post short because Prince Harry and I would like to go back to England soon.


I survived the buses again today!  AND I saw purple coat lady again!! She is so sweet...I'm going to call her Ruth!  There is something I decided about the buses.  You just have to be confident.  If you get on the wrong bus, don't panic, just deal with it.  Don't freak out and have a panic attack or you will look like a freshman.  Just go with the flow.  Get off in a few stops so you don't look as obvious and take a redo.  It's as easy as that.  As long as you look like you know what you are doing you will still have complete control of the situation.  There was a young woman with a baby today who got on the bus and sat next to me.  She was too busy talking on her phone to notice the baby grabbing my headphones and trying to strangle me!!  It was terrifying.  Future hooligan FOR SURE.  OH!  And then there was this guy with HOT PINK skinny jeans on...probably tighter than my jeans are.  He had on a black fitted t-shirt and a black and silver scarf.  He looked fun.  But then he sat down on the seat...which is hot pink/black/gray striped....it was like camouflage!!


Today at work I had to make a lot of phone calls, hence the title of this post.  One of our correspondents is looking to do a story about people who were excited about Obama back in 2008 when he was first elected and who are now disappointed and may not vote for him again.  Seems simple, right?  Wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I know there are a ton of people with these exact thoughts...but who is willing to get in front of a camera and say how they feel?  No one.  So it was my job to make phone calls to see if anyone would be willing to talk.  And again, like yesterday, it was a lot of contacting people who would tell me to contact someone else who would tell me to contact someone else...and you get the idea.  Did I ever find anyone willing to talk?  Possibly.  Senator Joe Manchin (democrat) recently stated that he may not vote for Obama in 2012.  I contacted his "people" and they said they would get back to me.  Better than a 'no' I guess!  Lisa is also working on an article about US veterans and how they deal with war trauma once they get back to the US so I helped her do research for that.


Max also had a number of tasks for me to do today.  I had to contact some people from the Alberta oil sands to see if he can get a media tour (check).  I had to research different helicopter tours over the oil sands and compare prices (check).  Then I had to research some anti-oil sands groups in the area so he can cover both sides of the story (check).  Then for the NHL story we might do about German players in the NHL, it was mostly just looking information up.  Washington and Boston are currently playing in game 7 of the first round tonight.  Boston has a player from Germany, Washington does not.  However, the Florida Panthers have 2 players from Germany.  Florida plays in game 7 tomorrow night.  So there are several options here.  If Washington keeps winning and Florida keeps winning they would play each other in the 3rd round, meaning there would be a few games in Washington and Max and I would go to a game and get interviews with the Florida players from Germany and what not...which would be totally awesome!  But there is another option.  If Boston wins tonight they will most likely play Philadelphia in the next round.  Philadelphia is not a long drive from DC at all, so we could possibly go there to cover the player from Germany on Boston's team.  SOOO hopefully this all works out, because that would be awesome to cover!!


Deutsche Welle fun fact: all the clocks are on military time...which means after 12:59pm I have to start doing math.  All I know is my day ends at 17:00!


Tonight Lee and I went to a sports bar, Touchdown, close to his apartment.  We had dinner and watched the Washington/Boston hockey game.  It was a really fun environment, even though I'm not 21 yet!!  There were a lot of really excited hockey fans!!  We are now back at his place watching the game...it's tied 1-1.


Ok....so I didn't meet Prince Harry today :(  BUT I'm not giving up hope!  I will find him somehow.  Someday my prince will come :)  I feel like we'd really hit it off.  I have lots of conversation starters!!


I received really good news at work today!!  There are 2 other interns who come in on Thursdays/Fridays and this is their last week.  I was told it would be too crowded so I have the next 2 days off unless something comes up!!  PLUS Monday is Labor Day in Germany, so we don't have to work that day either!!  5 day weekend!!  SO MUCH EXPLORING TIME!!!  I'm very excited to go sight seeing and take lots of pictures and learn lots!!!  I think I'm going to start by finding "Georgetown Cupcakes" from the show DC Cupcakes on TLC!!  So be prepared for an awesome blog tomorrow complete with pictures!!


Well I'm going to get back to watching hockey!!  Have a great night everyone!  More tomorrow :)


Shelby*

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelby, where are you living? Whenever I have went to Georgetown Cupcakes, I took a cab because it is a bit of a hike to walk from downtown dc which is where I would have been coming from. But I guess if you have a lot of time, it could be ok. It's not too bad of cab fare to get there...but be prepared for one expensive cupcake! They are great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm living in an apartment off of 13th Street and Clifton. However, if I recall I looked up Georgetown Cupcakes and it's on M street and I work on M street, so hopefully it won't be too bad to get there!

    ReplyDelete