Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 23: New intern duty: Buy furniture...??

Today I rode a pink bus to work!  It was awesome!


Work was work today.  It started off pretty slow.  I was still waiting to hear if the 2 people had found any students we could interview.  Mr. Soric and I went back and forth quite a bit today.  He told me since I hadn't found anyone yet I would just have to go to the campus of George Washington University or Georgetown and talk to students until I find a student who is in debt and struggling to find a job.  I told him that all the colleges around here are done for the summer.  He said well, students will be there for summer school.  I checked and summer school doesn't start until next week....  Then he told me to go and start hanging signs around campus explaining what we are looking for.  I wasn't sure about this either.  1. As a college student, I doubt students would read the sign and actually call us.  And 2. we can't just hang signs on a college campus without getting permission!


LUCKILY a guy emailed me this afternoon with two names and contact information of students in the D.C. area!  I emailed them both and I already heard back from one of them.  She graduated from George Washington University 2 years ago, she hasn't found a job and she is $250,000 in student loan debt!  So she is perfect for this story and she will do the interview on Thursday afternoon!  I am very excited (and relieved) about this!


Later in the afternoon Max brought me a picture of a chair and told me to find it on the IKEA website and order 4 of them.  I asked if he had a part number or anything.  He said no, and he also said he needs 2 tables....I was like okee dokee then, I'm on it!  So I searched the IKEA website and I found the chairs and I printed off all the different tables and gave the pages to Max.  He picked out the table he wants and told me to find out how much it would cost for delivery and if we could get them by next week.  Well, I found out that delivery would be at least $100 and that delivery takes at least 2 weeks and they don't offer rush delivery.  So then Max asked if I have a drivers license.  I said yes.....  He told Lori to sign me up for Zip Cars (?) which is like a rental car business for businesses, I guess.  That way I could go to IKEA and pick up the furniture.  Well,  Lori was filling out the form and came across a problem...I'm not 21 and you have to be at least 21.  Soooo we're still stuck, but Max is determined to get the furniture, so we'll see what he has up his sleeves!


We're up to like 80 guests out of 190 for the talk show!  Woo!!!  Max and I were being kinda sarcastic with each other today and at one point he walked away and Lori said to me, "I don't think Max knows what to do with you."  I said, "Good."  I thought, mission accomplished.  :)


I MET A FRIEND TODAY!!!  I was on the bus sitting next to this guy and I looked over and he was talking to me (I had my headphones in).  He asked if I knew if the bus was going to...I can't remember where he wanted to go.  I said I wasn't sure because I was pretty new here.  He said, "Oh, me too.  I've been here for less than a year."  I said that I had been there for a little less than a month.  He said that he is originally from Illinois!  I said "Oh!  Me too!"  He asked where I was from and I said Rockford and he said "Oh, by Chicago!"  I said yes and he said that he is from the South side of Chicago.  Now, he kinda looked like Ozzie Guillen....so I was kinda excited.....but then I realized I could understand what he was saying, so it couldn't have been Ozzie... :(  He asked if I was a cubs fan and I was like NOOOOOOOOO!  White Sox!  Then he gave me a high five!! :)  His name is Fernando and he works in construction!  Small world!  So I had a nice little chat with him before I got off the bus!  Yayyy for meeting friends :)


Well, that was today.  Definitely had it's ups and downs!  Hump day tomorrow!!  And Lee and I are planning on going to the Nationals game tomorrow night, so I may not blog until Thursday night!!  More tomorrow (or eventually) :)


Shelby*

4 comments:

  1. I have a big love about reading to collect useful information about buying home furniture online.And today I have found this blog.Thank you so much for what you have shared.

    buy office furniture & executive office desks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these designs of conference hall. I just hope to book this kind of venue for my business meetings. Thanks for such a reliable blog post!

    office furniture online & Office refurbishment companies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking few tips for buying furniture wheels & got some useful tips from this post.Thanks for sharing this post.

    Pneumatic caster & Plastic wheels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, could you please remove the comment from Linda Hudson? It's a spam comment linking to my site. And bad for Google Search Rankings. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete