Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 26: It's like he's trying to speak to me! I know it!

Sorry I have gotten a little behind on the postings, it was a long, busy weekend!!!  But here is Friday's post and I will post Saturday and Sunday next!! :)


Friday I got to work and before I even got in the building Ingo was outside waiting for me to go to IKEA.  We walked a few blocks to the rental car place to pick up our vehicle.  While we were waiting to get our car there was a lady who came in and she had reserved a mini van.  Well, they informed her that they did not have a mini van but they could get her a small SUV....and she FREAKED out!!!  There were magical words that rhymed with duck and hit...  She asked how much she would be compensated if she took the SUV and she was told nothing because the SUV is actually a step up from the mini van.  Well, she continued to swear and freak out...and unfortunately we had to leave before I could see how it ended!  I mean...I guess I would be mad too if I reserved a car and got there and it wasn't available....it would be like going to a restaurant where you made reservations and them saying they gave your table again....but still.  She just kept yelling "how am I supposed to move my daughter home from college?!"


It took about 45 minutes to get there and when we did Max's wife and his son met us there.  His son is one year old and he is absolutely adorable!!!  Basically the whole time we were there I entertained him and let Max's wife and Ingo do the shopping :p  The only problem was that Max and his wife speak French at home....  So not only was his son talking baby talk so I couldn't understand him....but it was in French...so I really couldn't understand it!!  I just kept thinking of the line from Finding Nemo...."It's like he's trying to speak to me!  I know it!!!"  hahahahaha but regardless, he was cute and fun! :)  Oh, and they picked out the furniture and we got it all worked out!


After that Ingo and I headed back to the office.  By then it was lunch time so I left for break.  A few weeks ago, Lee told me about how at Farragut Square they have Food Truck Friday (or something like that) every Friday.  A bunch of food trucks come and people just eat lunch in the little park.  So I decided to walk there for lunch, it was only like a 10 minute walk.  There were like 25 different trucks and it was really neat!  There were even 2 cupcake trucks!!  One was named "Curbible Cupcakes," which I thought was VERY cleaver and cute!  


Now, as most of you know, my adviser, Penni, and her husband, John, came to visit me this weekend!!  Penni has been to D.C. multiple times, but John has only been here once and it was only for about 5 hours, 20 years ago, so it's not like he was able to see much!  When I got back from lunch Penni and John were already in D.C. so Penni came to Deutsche Welle to see how things were going.  She met with Mr. Soric for about an hour and they talked about my month there and how they can set it up for another student to come out for an internship.  They discussed maybe sending a student out for a longer amount of time, like 3 months or so.  Oh, and Mr. Soric said I'm doing a good job, so woo!!  Mr. Soric said if I was done for the day I could leave a little early, so I left around 3:30....so it was a short day at work!!


When I got home I took a quick nap then hopped back on the bus to meet Penni and John at their hotel.  (Now, just a side note....Penni and John never took a honeymoon...so I kept joking all weekend that they were on their honeymoon!  So when they would start "bickering" I would yell "NOT on the honeymoon!" hahahha)  We then went to dinner at a place by their hotel, Mai Thai.  It was really, really good!  After that we decided to walk around and see the monuments at night.  Penni downloaded a D.C. app and it included a walking tour of the monuments....and according to it, if we did it all it would equal 6 miles of walking!!  Dang!!  We started at the White House and checked it out.  I decided I wanted to do the "Shelby's version of untold history" tour.  I told them the White House was built in 1825 by General Custer (Step Brothers reference...).  They stopped listening to me at that point...rude.  Then we headed to the Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, Lincoln Monument, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial (which was neat because I hadn't seen that yet), and the MLK Memorial.  They were all very cool lit up and it was such a nice night!  By then we were pretty tired and it was still a pretty long walk to the Jefferson Monument, so we decided to skip that one.  We got a taxi and dropped them off at their hotel and then I headed home.  Here are some pictures I took Friday night.


White House!!

Washington Monument!

Lincoln Monument and World War II Memorial


Lincoln Monument

Vietnam Memorial

Korean War Memorial

MLK Memorial

Jefferson Monument




It was a long day, but it was really good to see Penni and talk to her and what not!  We had a pretty big day planned for Saturday so I called it a night!!  


Well, that was Friday!!  More tomorrow :)

Shelby*

No comments:

Post a Comment